Sunday, 18 July 2010

The Culture Diaries - Guest Post by Jane Espenson

Jane Espenson has written for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Battlestar Galactica, and Caprica among other series.  She has also written an episode of HBO's upcoming Game of Thrones and is co-creator of Syfy's Warehouse 13. She writes comic books, webisodes, and edits books of pop culture essays. She is currently developing new projects.


Day 1 - Saturday

I start the day as I often do on Saturday, by watching the previous day's Tivo'd new episode of The Soup.  A cultural diary in its own right.

Internet surfing. JoshReads.com is my current obsession, along with my friend's blog mlinla.com. JoshReads is second level pop culture, since it's a blog about comic strips.  Inspired!

On Twitter, my friend Cheeks (@GoCheeksGo) has Tweeted a link to a new video he made -- a "deception analysis" of
Lindsay Lohan's recent court appearance. It's retweeted by Perez Hilton and becomes an instant hit.  There's a flurry of Tweet activity.

I have a meeting about a stage project I'm working on.  I select a director and the project clicks forward one more notch.

In my car, I listen to an audiobook:
Reagan: The Hollywood Years by Marc Eliot. Jane Wyman is a piece of work.  Fantastic.

I attend a fundraiser in the evening at which a short documentary about Costa Rica is screened. It was shot specifically for the fundraiser -- media made to order.  Very effective.


Day 2 - Sunday

A friend emails me a link to a
60 Minutes piece.  I immediately make a reservation at the restaurant that is mentioned.

I read four chapters of "Gay L.A." by Lillian Faderman and Stuart Timmons.

I watch 48 Hours Mystery.  I love true crime stories.  I read everything Ann Rule writes.

I look over the typeset pages of a book of essays that I'm editing.  Looks good to me!


Day 3 - Monday

Half-watch the Home Run Derby.

I field emails about the upcoming San Diego Comic Con.  Emailing about an event at which I'm signing copies of books and comic books that derive from television shows... there are many layers of consumable culture there.

I read and post to Twitter as I do most evenings.  Let's take that as a given from here out.


Day 4 - Tuesday

More emails about the stage project and about Comic Con.

The All-Star game is on in the background, but I cannot claim to have really watched it.


Day 5 - Wednesday

Watched Work of Art. One of my favorite new shows. These shows are largely about casting and they did a good job.  My friends and I speculate that they are having to disguise the dominance of one of the contestants to make the outcome appear to be in doubt.

It's my birthday, so there is more email than usual.  I have wonderful friends.


Day 6 - Thursday

Watched Top Chef.

I order dinner and have it delivered.  I like to eat while watching Top Chef.  The ease of using the internet both to order delivery food and to make restaurant reservations has made my dining life easier and more varied.


Day 7 - Friday

I work a half day and then go to see Inception with my colleagues.

I have dinner at the restaurant I heard about through the 60 Minutes piece.  One of the best meals ever.  My friends and I have become big fans of molecular cuisine. (Which we learned about on Top Chef.)

I listen to more of the Reagan audiobook in the car.  Jane Wyman continues to be a piece of work.

I firm up plans for another meeting about my mysterious stage project.  It's starting to feel very real.

My friend @GoCheeksGo posts another Twitter link that I like and
RT
I watch "The Soup," and catch up on everything I missed for one more week!


~

If you are a creative, ie. a writer, artist, musician, film-maker, photographer, actor etc and would like to contribute your cultural diary as a guest post, please get in touch with us through the main website. Please have a good read round first to be clear about the ethos of the sites.

2 comments:

Johnny said...

Loving this Cultural Diaries idea, John.

J

John Siddique said...

Hi Johnny
thanks so much.. would love you to do one for us when you felt like it..